Killarney-Glengarry is another inner city older neighborhood, which is close to downtown Calgary, and is known for its mature park-like landscaping and gentle hills.
Killarney/Glengarry is bordered by 17th Avenue to the north, Richmond Road to the south, Crowchild Trail to the East, and 37th Street to the West.
There are 6800 residents in the Killarney/Glengarry community, and 48 percent of them are under the age of 35. The housing in this community is 41% single family homes or semi-detached homes. The remaining housing is made up of apartments and row houses.
According to the City of Calgary 2012 Civic census, Glengarry had a population of
In the City of Calgary’s 2012 municipal census, Killarney/Glengarry had a population of 6,816 living in 3,679 dwellings, a 4.2% increase from its 2011 population of 6,543. A proportion of 41.4% of the buildings were condominiums or apartments, and 46.0% of the housing was used for renting.
For more detailed information on the demographics of Killarney/Glengarry, see this page on the City of Calgary website.
The Killarney/Glengarry Community Association is located at:
2828 – 28th Street S.W.
Calgary, Alberta T3E 2J3
The Community Association website is: http://www.killarneyglengarry.com/
PARKS and RECREATION
The Killarney Aquatic Centre has a full sized indoor pool, a steam room, weight room, and programs for swimming lessons and aquatic fitness classes. There is also a competitive Swim Club at the Centre.
Killarney is home to the following schools:
- Holy Name Elementary School (Bilingual) (separate school board)
- Killarney Elementary School (public school board)
Killarney is also served by the following schools in adjoining neighbourhoods:
- A.E. Cross Junior High School (public)
- Vincent Massey Junior High School (public)
- Ernest Manning High School (public)
- Salvation Army Children’s Village School (run in partnership between the public school board and the Salvation Army)
Federal – Calgary Centre, Joan Crockatt, MP
Provincial – Calgary Currie, Christine Cusanelli, MLA
Municipal – Ward 8, Alderman John Mar
- Route 2, Killarney/17 Avenue/Mt. Pleasant
- Route 6, Killarney 26th Avenue
- Route 72, Circle Route Clockwise
- Route 73, Circle Route Counterclockwise
- Route 94, Strathcona/Westbrook
- West LRT Westbrook station
Killarney Census 2012